Thursday, February 10, 2022

Thursday, February 10, 2022

To Live and Shave in L.A., Noon and Eternity
  • George Crumb, “Black Angels” (Kronos Quartet)
  • To Live and Shave in L.A., Noon and Eternity
  • MX-80 Sound, O-Type
  • MX-80 Sound, Out of the Tunnel
  • MX-80 Sound, Big Hits
  • Betty Davis, They Say I’m Different
  • Sparks, Propaganda
  • Sparks, Exotic Creatures of the Deep
  • Sparks, Lil’ Beethoven
  • Yo La Tengo, I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One
  • The Verlaines, Some Disenchanted Evening

Sparks, Lil’ Beethoven

Sparks’ setlist in concert in Los Angeles earlier this week included “Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth” from Propaganda and several songs from Lil’ Beethoven; “My Baby’s Taking Me Home”, especially, was a joy.

On the “Two Hands, One Mouth” tour (2013), they did “Good Morning” (easily the highlight of Exotic Creatures of the Deep, one of their lesser recent efforts), but not at this show. I hope they haven’t dropped it from their live repertoire entirely. Ron Mael’s lyric always makes me smile. The narrator has no memory of his one-night stand:

Good morning
Who are you?
I woke up
and saw you
I’m dreaming, still dreaming
My life is now about to have some meaning
 
Thank you, God, for something rare as this
What surely must have been a holy night of bliss [...]
 
Good morning
You woke up
Got dressed up
Hair messed up
While I fix you breakfast
I hope it’s just your laugh that is infectious...

No comments:

Post a Comment